Although most people who take Suboxone as directed by their physician are not likely to overdose on this long-acting partial opioid agonist, mixing the drug with other substances – especially other opioids, alcohol, or benzodiazepines – increases its bioavailability to the opioid receptors. This amplifies intoxication as well as the risk of overdose.
Signs of an overdose on Suboxone include:
- Slowed heart rate
- Tension, anxiety, or irritability
- Loss of physical coordination
- Trouble concentrating
- Stomach pain
- Depressed breathing
If a person is overdosing on any opioid or Suboxone, call 911 immediately. The individual needs emergency medical treatment.